I am an economist at PXT Central Science, committed to making Amazon the world's best employer.
I work on applying behavioral economics and data science to optimize human capital decisions from school to the workforce.
I was a postdoc with Susanna Loeb at Brown and with Adam Kapor, Chris Neilson, and Seth Zimmerman at Princeton.
I received my Ph.D. under the advising of Steve DesJardins, Sue Dynarski, and Brian Jacob from the University of Michigan.
Why do I want to improve human capital accumulation for the poor? One reason: "25 dangerous roads to school in the world."
Optimize human capital decisions from school to workforce
- Migrant children's take-up of social health insurance: Experimental evidence from China, with Menghan Shen, Zhiwei Tang, revise & resubmit
- Impacts of academic mismatch on college and labor market outcomes, with Xin Li, Xiaogang Wu, revise & resubmit
- Impacts of village preschools, with Shuangye Chen et al., revise & resubmit
- Using text-messages to overcome parenting barriers in under-resourced communities: Evidence from a field experiment in rural China, with Yue Ma, Susanna Loeb et al., under review
- Experimental evidence on the effects of systematic phonics, with Xinjie Zhang, under review
- Do teachers' college prepare better teachers? with Qi Zheng et al., under review
- Improving access to high-quality teachers in underdeveloped areas: Evidence from Free Teacher Education in China, with Muxin Zhai, Li Feng, under review
- Information nudge in U.S. health education, with Muxin Zhai, Li Feng, under review
- College-major choice to college-then-major choice: The heterogeneous impacts of late specification reforms on college student composition, with Xin Li et al., EdWorkingPaper 22-695, under reivew [pdf]
- Personalized advising for college match: Experimental evidence on the use of human expertise and machine learning to improve college choice, 2022 [pdf]
- Cognitive distortions in complex decisions: Evidence from centralized college admission, with Ao Wang, Shaoda Wang, 2022 [pdf]
- Intergenerational mobility effects of regional education and migration policy in China, with Jonas Jin, Alan Yang, 2022 [pdf]
- The promise of online learning to improve human capital accumulation by reducing the opportunity cost of schooling, with Di Xu, 2022
- Inequality in college applications: Evidence from three continents, with Adam Altjmed, Andres Barrios Fernandez, Aspacia Bizopoulou, Martti Kaila, Christopher Neilson, and Sebastián Otero, 2022
- New college campus and local economic growth, with Dongyang Chen, Wei Ha, 2022
- Intrinsic and extrinsic incentives in medical education, with Hongbin Wu, Hang Yu et al., 2022
- The road not taken: Unequal pathways through high school mathematics coursetaking, with Susanna Loeb, 2022
- Impacts of meta major reforms, with Le Kang et al., 2022
- How college choices disadvantage disadvantaged students under centralized college admissions systems? with Prashant Loyalka, Binzhen Wu, 2020
- Improving college choice in centralized admissions: Experimental evidence on the importance of precise predictions, Education Finance and Policy, 2023 [link] [pdf]
- When information conflicts with obligations: The role of motivated cognition, with Ao Wang, Shaoda Wang, The Economic Journal (conditional acceptance), NBER Working Paper 30581, 2023 [pdf]
- College-major choice to college-then-major choice: Experimental evidence from Chinese college admissions reforms, with Liping Ma, Xin Li, Qiong Zhu, Economics of Education Review, EdWorkingPaper 22-694, 2023 [pdf]
- The effect of an information intervention on the career commitment of medical students: Evidence from a randomized experiment, with Chunqing Li, Chen Yu, Hongbin Wu, Frontiers in Medicine, 2023
- Still want to be a doctor? Medical student dropout in the era of COVID-19, with Muxin Zhai, Li Feng, A'na Xie, Weiming Wang, Hongbin Wu, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 2022 [link] [pdf]
- More money on learning, less learning loss? The Learning Curve at Urban Institute (internally reviewed), 2022 [link] [pdf]
- Global pathways: New evidence on the international graduate school choice of Chinese outbound students, with Suhong Yang, Dean He, Higher Education, 2022 [link] [pdf]
- Prosocial modeling matters, Annals of Medicine (authorship not randomized), with Dan Wang, Hongbin Wu, 2022 [link] [pdf]
- Centralization vs. decentralization: The financing of public primary education in China, with Wei Ha, Dongyang Chen, Recent Advancements in Education Finance and Policy (eds. Thomas Downes, Kieran Killeen), 2022 [link] [pdf]
- Heterogeneous major preferences for extrinsic incentives: The effects of wage information on the gender gap in STEM major choice, with Yanqing Ding, Wei Li, Xin Li,Yinduo Wu, Jin Yang, Research in Higher Education, EdWorkingPaper 21-395, 2021 [link] [pdf]
- The elite exclusion: Stratified access and production during the Chinese higher education expansion, with Yanqing Ding, Yinduo Wu, Jin Yang, Higher Education, 2021 [link] [pdf]
- Expanding online education for future doctors on a national scale, with Li Li, Hongbin Wu, A'na Xie, Cheng Liu, Weiming Wang, BMC Medical Education (authorship not randomized), 2021 [link] [pdf]
- Traditional dietary habits and interprovincial migration in college choice, with Le Kang, Yanqing Ding, ECNU Review of Education, 2020 [link] [pdf]
- Intergovernmental transfer with heterogeneous accountabilities: The effects of the 2006 Chinese Education Finance Reform, with Yanqing Ding, Fengming Lu, Economics of Educaiton Review, 2020 [link] [pdf]
Publications in Chinese
- Students' academic performance of publicly-funded pre-service teacher programs, with Xinliang Zhang, Yan Shi, Qi Zheng, Na Wang, Journal of Educational Studies 教育学报, 2023. [pdf]
- Mismatch between college-majors and occupations, with Suhong Yang, Peking University Education Review 北京大学教育评论, 2022.
- Health insurance RCT with college students, with Menghan Shen, Xiangrui Zheng., Insurance Studies 保险研究, 2022. [pdf]
- Medical school advising, with Yuchen Yang et al., Chinese Journal of Medical Education 中华医学教育杂志, 2022.
- STEM major restrictions, with Shangcong Bu, Liping Ma, China Higher Education Research 中国高教研究, 2022. [pdf]
- COVID and medical student attrition, with Xuanxuan Ma et al., Fudan Education Forum 复旦教育论坛, 2021. [pdf]
- Impacts of academic mismatch on college success, with Qiongqiong Wang et al., China Economics of Education Review 教育经济评论, 2021. [pdf]
- College and economic development: Evidence from new college campuses, with Wei Ha, Dongyang Chen, Peking University Education Review 北京大学教育评论, 2021. [pdf]
- The impact of informational interventions on college-major choice: Evidence from a large-scale randomized experiment, with Lizhen Du et al., China Economic Quarterly 经济学季刊, 2021. [pdf]
- The impacts of college admissions reforms,'' with Liping Ma et al., China Higher Education Research 中国高教研究, 2021. [pdf]
- Retaking college entrance exam: Evidence from a regression discontinuity design, with Yan Zhang et al., Global Education 全球教育展望, 2019. [pdf]
- Who benefits from college expansion in China? Part 2, with Yanqing Ding, Yinduo Wu, Jin Yang, Journal of National Academy of Education Administration 国家教育行政学院学报, 2019. [pdf]
- Who benefits from college expansion in China? Part 1, with Yanqing Ding, Yinduo Wu, Jin Yang, Research in Education Development 教育发展研究, 2019. [pdf]
- Undermatched college choice among low-income students, with Si Chen et al., China Economics of Education Review 教育经济评论, 2018. [pdf]
- Gaokao and education investment: Public high school performance pay under accountability, with Yinduo Wu, Jin Yang, Education & Economy 教育与经济, 2017. [pdf]
- Why have some local governments closed more rural schools than others?, with Yanqing Ding, Shaoda Wang, China Economics of Education Review 教育经济评论, 2016. lead article [pdf]
- Expanding Chinese higher education: Quality and social stratification, with Yanqing Ding, Chinese Journal of Sociology 社会, 2015. [pdf]
- The causal effects of high school choice, with Jinling Chen, Yanqing Ding, Education Research Monthly Review 教育学术月刊, 2014. [pdf]
- Local government incentives, fiscal constraint and education expenditure, in Lin et al. (eds) Tax Reform and Sustainable Development in China 中国税制改革与可持续发展, China Finance & Economics Press, 2013.
- Parental political capital and children’s school choice: Evidence from China, World Economics Papers 世界经济文汇, 2012. [pdf]
- Village schools: A symbol of the nation or deformation of the city?, RUC Education Journal 中国人民大学教育学刊, 2011. [pdf]
RCT for Social Good Series
> Season 1: 2022 - "Behavioral Economics in Early Childhood Education"
- hosted by Center for Education Policy of SWU
Causal Inference Checklist Series
> Season 1: 2022 - "Causal Inference Checklist"
- hosted by Education Economics Lab of ECNU
Improving College Choice for All Series
> 2022 - Gaokao Checklist
- The seeds of life's confusion were planted before the College Entrance Exam - Apple Podcast by ETW Studio [link]
- After 7 years of college advising, he said "it's hard to change students' behaviors" - Southern Weekend [link]
- How does college application change a student's life? - People Magazine [link]
"The flowers bloom."
(Shangde School, Wen County, Gansu Province, 2009)
RCT For Social Good (糅春天) Blogs
- WeChat account: RCT4BETTER
- Most blogs will be written in Chinese but translations by Amazon AI will be attached.
- Version 1 of the RCT for Social Good Blog at WeChat (RCT4GOOD) has been banned forever since 10/14/2022.
- 2021 Julio Hu 纪念胡续冬
- 2023 New Year Poetry Reading [pdf]
Six Years in My Life
Three books, five mentors, and 1,000,000 poor students guided my Ph.D. studies on #CollegeChoice, #BehavioralInsights, #CollegeAccess, #EconomicsOfEducation, #StudentSuccess, #Poverty, #EducationOpportunity, #DecisionMaking, #Inequality.